The older we get, our faces can lose subcutaneous fat. The facial muscles are then working close to the skin surface, so smile lines and crow’s feet become more apparent. Is there a way to reduce these age lines and wrinkles? Of course, one option is dermal fillers!
Dermal fillers are a plausible, affordable and pain-free procedure that can help you meet your facial appearance goals. Continue reading below to learn more about this procedure and how The Landing Dental Spa is the right place to get yours done.
WHAT ARE DERMAL FILLERS?
A dermal filler is a gel-like substance injected into the skin. This minimally invasive cosmetic procedure helps to restore volume, smooth lines and enhance facial features.
Why is this procedure needed? Your facial skin naturally stretches, which adds to a loss of facial volume as we get older. But it’s not just aging, additional factors that affect the facial skin can include sun exposure, heredity and lifestyle.
Dermal fillers can perform the following benefits for you:
- Volumize lips
- Heighten shallow contours
- Smooth facial wrinkles
- Eliminate scars
- Reconstruct deformities on the face
- Reduce the shadow of the lower lids
Types of Dermal Fillers
At our office, we use two types of fillers, both of which are Hyaluronic Acid (HA):
- Juvederm: A filler that helps to add hydration and volume to your skin. It smoothes fine lines and wrinkles amongst providing and overall natural-looking appearance.
- Radiesse: A filler that contains calcium-based microspheres in a water-based gel with lidocaine for pain-free injections. It treats wrinkles, smile lines, frown lines and marionette lines.
HA is a natural substance that promotes your cells to retain moisture. These fillers are soft and gel-like and are used to improve the skin’s contour. Additionally, it reduces depressions in the skin from scars, injury or lines.
You may see drastic improvements in the following:
- Facial depressions
- Crow’s feet on the corner of your eyes
- Deep smile lines (nasolabial furrows)
- Frown lines between your eyebrows
- Marionette lines on the edges of the mouth
- Redefining lip border
- Vertical lines on your mouth
- Worry lines running across your forehead
AM I THE RIGHT CANDIDATE FOR DERMAL FILLERS?
- Physically healthy
- Maintain a positive outlook with realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance
- Committed to maintaining healthy skin
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN GETTING DERMAL FILLERS
You have questions, and we have answers! Check out this list of items to consider from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons before your consultation with us:
- Is my medical professional American Board of Plastic Surgery certified?
- How many years of experience does my medical professional have?
- Is The Landing Dental Spa’s office authorized by a nationally or state-recognized accrediting agency, or is it state-licensed or Medicare-certified?
- Am I the right candidate for dermal fillers based on my appearance goals and skin type?
- What is expected of me to receive top results?
- How will my procedure be performed?
- How long is my recovery time?
- What are the risks associated with dermal fillers?
- How are complications handled?
- What lasting effects will dermal fillers have on my skin?
- If I am unsatisfied with the results of my procedure, what are my options?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for each procedure and what results are reasonable for me?
WHAT TO EXPECT: CONSULTATION, BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THE PROCEDURE
Know what to expect at your consultation, and then learn the ins and outs of your dermal filler procedure.
So you’re interested in finding out more about dermal fillers. With The Landing Dental Spa, you’ve come to the right place! At your consultation, please ask us any pending questions, comments, concerns regarding the procedure. We are happy to explain the process in detail, catered to you and your specific goals.
What else should you anticipate discussing during your consultation? See below:
- Your appearance goals
- Skincare concerns and questions
- Medical history
- Current medications and substances you’re taking
- Previous cosmetic treatments you’ve undergone, if any
- Available options personalized to your wanted treatment specifications
- Outcomes and potential risks of your procedure
- Expected results
Our staff wants to make sure you know each aspect of this procedure. Our compassionate and expert staff is here to ease your anxiety and make you feel as comfortable as possible. Your cosmetic goals and desires are in good hands with us at The Landing Dental Spa.
Before the start of your procedure, your facial appearance and skin tone will be thoroughly examined by your medical professional. Strategic points on your face may get marked as the appropriate injection sites for the filler. Your medical professional may capture photographs of the soon-to-be treated area(s).
Your injection sites will be cleaned with an antibacterial agent. If you experience any pain at the injection site, a cold instrument will aid your skin along with anesthetic ointment to numb the treated area.
This procedure is typically noted as being painless, and the injections are easily manageable for your medical professional. If you do experience pain, please inform your doctor to ease that right up for you.
The injection itself takes a few moments per treated area. Your medical professional will inject, massage, and evaluate the area being treated. If needed, an additional filler may be used to make sure you are happy with the results and that it meets your aspirations. Depending on your personalized treatment, the process may range from 15 to 60 minutes.
If you are satisfied with the results, leftover markings will be cleaned. An ice pack may be used to reduce swelling further and relieve any discomfort. Your treated area may feel sore for a day or two. You should not need medication.
RECOVERY TIME & RESULTS
Recovery time varies and depends on which filler is being used in a specific area. Generally, you can resume daily activities immediately. Avoid intense physical activity for the first 24 to 48 hours to minimize swelling and bruising. Your medical professional will go over the specifics of your recovery time with you.
Results of HA fillers are temporary and only last six to 12 months before the body absorbs them. Keep in mind that it may not be possible to receive optimal results with one procedure. Discuss how many procedures will be needed to meet your goals with your medical professional.
The results of soft tissue fillers are seen immediately. This can last from several months to several years, depending on the filler used and the patient injected.
Maintaining good overall health and keeping healthy and firm skin with appropriate products and skin treatments will improve the results and longevity.
ARE THERE ANY RISKS FROM GETTING DERMAL FILLERS?
It is uncommon for severe symptoms or risks to accumulate from receiving dermal fillers. Risks vary depending on which type of filler is being used. However, if a patient does experience side effects, they may include the following:
- Acne-like skin bursts
- Lack of symmetry
- Damage to the skin
- Infection at the injection site
- Palpability under the surface of the skin
- Under or over-correction of wrinkles
- Skin necrosis
Most conditions can be reduced with the use of topical coating and massaging the injection site. Some reactions may need further aggressive treatment using medications or injections. Consult with your medical professional for additional questions about risks and potential side effects.
GET DERMAL FILLERS AT THE LANDING DENTAL SPA
“If you want to be discreet about getting fillers, you can just say you’re coming to the dentist,” said Dr. Carly Lemley, DDS.
At The Landing Dental Spa, we provide more than just dental care. We offer you a spa-like, calm atmosphere for both oral healthcare and cosmetic procedures. Our staff works together to ensure you have the best possible care in the utmost comfortable environment-stress-free.
Schedule an appointment to discuss dermal fillers with one of our doctors by giving us a call at 304-592-2200.